Pope received letter reporting Bishop Barros in 2015, sex abuse survivor says

Pope received letter reporting Bishop Barros in 2015, sex abuse survivor says

For example, he uses an ordinary hatchback as an official car, and days after his election in 2013, he said he wanted to lead "a poor church, for the poor".

Karadima, who once led a lay movement from his parish in El Bosque, was convicted of sexually abusing minors in a 2011 Vatican trial, and at the age of 84, was sentenced to a life of prayer and solitude.

"I'm certain he's innocent", Francis said of the Chilean bishop.

"Cardinal O'Malley called me after the pope's visit here in Philadelphia and he told me, among other things, that he had given the letter to the pope - in his hands", he said in an interview at his home Sunday.

On April 12, 2015, the members of the sex-abuse commission met with Francis' top adviser, Cardinal Sean O'Malley, explained their objections to Barros' appointment as bishop of Osorno, and gave him the letter to deliver to the pope.

On Monday, the Associated Press (AP) revealed that Pope Francis heard about the abuse problem in graphic detail from a victim in 2015, despite the pope's recent insistence that he had no knowledge of the allegations.

"How many times do we see some people asleep, chatting or going out to smoke a cigarette during the homily", the pope asked those gathered for the audience in the Paul VI audience hall.

"Of course, I know that there are a lot of victims of abuse who cannot bring proof, they don't have it, who can't or sometimes don't have [proof] or who have shame and hide it and suffer in silence", he continued. "And at a later date, he assured us that that had been done".

Lana Del Rey a échappé à un kidnapping
Si Lana Del Rey n'a pas eu la surprise de découvrir une présence inattendue chez elle, son histoire aurait pu très mal se finir. Sur Twitter ce dimanche, elle a partagé un message à l'attention de ses abonnés qui s'inquiétaient pour elle.

He wrote: 'Holy Father, it's bad enough that we suffered such tremendous pain and anguish from the sexual and psychological abuse, but the terrible mistreatment we received from our pastors is almost worse'. During an in-flight news conference, he repeats that accusations against Bishop Barros are "slander" and denies any victims had come forward accusing Bishop Barros of covering up for Fr Karadima.

"More difficult and tough was when we were in Karadima's room and Juan Barros - if he wasn't kissing Karadima - would watch when Karadima would touch us - the minors - and make us kiss him, saying: 'Put your mouth near mine and stick out your tongue.' He would stick his out and kiss us with his tongue", Cruz told the pope. Their meeting is scheduled for Feb. 17 in New York, where Cruz has to be for work that day anyway, Cruz said.

"No one has come forward, they haven't provided any evidence for a judgment", Francis said.

To get his message across, "Christ also needs the words of the priest who gives the homily after the Gospel" reading, he said.

From there, Scicluna will travel onto Santiago as originally planned. "Juan Barros was a witness to all this innumerable times, not just with me but with others as well".

Pope Francis acknowledged the bishops' concerns in a letter, which the AP obtained last month. Black-clad demonstrators storm the church with signs that read, "No to Karadima's accomplice".

Francis later apologised to sexual abuse victims for his comments about Barros, acknowledging the word "proof" had hurt many people, but added that the Vatican had investigated the case and he was "convinced" of the bishop's innocence. Karadima was responsible for cultivating dozens of priestly vocations and five bishops - including Barros - but he also kissed and fondled young boys in his community. O'Malley, who has had extensive experience dealing with sex abuse in Boston, is president the Commission for the Protection of Minors.

Related Articles